In summary, I've well sort of cut down on shorter events and focused mainly on longer events, ie ultras. In contrast I've only completed 3 full marathon in the first half. In the years before, I would have done a dozen or close to that number. Having said that, the number of ultras for the first half have gone up quite a bit year on year. 4 last year (100km ultras mainly) compared to 9 for 2014 (mix of 100km road/trails and 100 miles). That said, trying to get back at speed for full marathons took a beating looking at the result of my 1st full marathon this year in Hatyai that returned a so so 4:38 timing. To which I did try to focus back on speed and was rewarded with a 3:57 timing in Melaka's International Marathon early June. See? Tough to juggle both paces or perhaps I was just looking for reasons.
Here's a quick list of the events for the 1st half of the year by chronological order.
|No||Race Name||Date||City||Country||Finish Time||Distance|
|12||Salomon MR25 X-Country Marathon||06/22/14||Singapore||SGP||04:52:00||Marathon|
|11||Melaka International Marathon||06/08/14||Melaka||MYS||03:57:36||Marathon|
|9||TNF100 Australia||05/17/14||Sydney||AUS||16:49:47||100 km|
|8||TNF100 Philippines||05/03/14||Baguio||PHL||24:32:30||100 km|
|7||Ultra Trail Mount Fuji UTMF||04/25/14||Tokyo||JPN||42:41:09||168 km|
|6||Twilight Ultra||03/30/14||Singapore||SGP||14:38:01||100 km|
|5||Translantau 100||03/15/14||Hong Kong||HKG||28:48:28||100 km|
|4||TNF100 Thailand||02/08/14||Khao Yai||THA||14:40:44||100 km|
|3||H1 Hardcore Cebu 100 miles||01/31/14||Bogo||PHL||25:47:00||100 mi|
|2||Vibram Hong Kong 100 Ultra||01/18/14||Hong Kong||HKG||17:54:51||100 km|
|1||Watergate 16 Hour||01/05/14||Kuala Lumpur||MYS||14:10:00||100 km|
- Total of 12 events. 3 full marathons, 7 100km ultra, 1 100mile ultra and 1 168km ultra
- Furthest distance being 168km UTMF in April. A first for me for such a distance on trail
- Best achievement would be improvements in my Vibram100, slashing 2 hours from last year and grabbing another silver trophy with a time of 17:54. Still plenty to work on if I want that gold trophy next year
- Best back to back succession, 3 in 4 weeks. UTMF 168km, the following week TNF100 Philippines and 2 weeks later TNF100 Australia. Bloody tough is all I can say but with the proper recovery, not truly impossible. TNF100 Philippines was more of a revenge for me since I DNF-ed in 2013 so it was something I had to absolutely cross off this year!
- 2 DNF. Yes, I am human too. The hard to crack H1 Ultra 100 miles which I could only manage to 100km and the recent Ocho Ocho 220km which I managed to get up to 200km. That said I am still happy to overcome the 160km limit and go past 200km for once. Not the last for me attempting bigger distances.
- A total of 1,154km just for the 12 events above excluding those that I've DNF-ed or the shorter events in between which I've not mentioned.